Date:      Mon, 09 Oct 2000 12:13:35 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: effective use of serial console

In message <14817.64539.984808.362682@yertle.kciLink.com> Vivek Khera writes:
: I've got a stack of servers at a co-lo facililty about 35 minutes
: drive from here (non-rush hour...) and I'd like to make best use of
: the serial console feature of FreeBSD.
:
: So far with my in-office experiments, I have been able to do just
: about everything I need.  My only question is how can I force a reboot
: similar to the CTL-ALT-DEL key sequence on a local console?  I was
: hoping a BREAK signal would do it, but the best I can do is make it
: drop to a debugger.  I don't really need debugger support in my
: production kernels, but I guess if that's the only way to accomplish
: it...
:
: How do others set this up?  I guess I'm really looking for a really
: fail-safe serial console.

You can always hack sio to make the break character call reboot rather
than debugger.

Warner