Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 02:12:45 +0200
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Java apps like ICQ and JavaWorkshop need DISPLAY != ":0.0"

Hi!

I've had trouble running Java Workshop and ICQ on our workstations. jws
just sits there waiting for something, and ICQ won't connect. I have
tried all sorts of things to get it weorking, but have always been
puzzled, because it works on my home machine, and on our server! That's
what I thought, but then I realized that I had never tried from the
console, only trough my workstation X server.

By default, the display variable is set to ":0.0", which is usually
fine. But, when setting the DISPLAY variable to something more specific
than :0.0, like localhost:0.0 or hostname:0.0, ICQ and JavaWorkshop
suddenly start working! Is this a well knows fact? I have never seen
anything like it before, anyway...

Is it just for me this is happening? If not, I think it shall be
documented on www.freebsd.org/java/.

Anyway, I'm happy now! :-)  Thanks, for all your work with the jdk!