Date:      Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:10:38 -0500
From:      Jeff Wirth <jeff.wirth@gmail.com>
To:        jmlewis@dslextreme.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FTP server on 5.3

> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:56:12 -0800 (PST), Joshua Lewis <jmlewis@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> I was trying to setup an FTP server last night on my 5.3 box. I was using
> the handbook and was instructed to make a new user ftp. So that worked
> fine and I was able to upload to ftp's home dirrectory but wanted to know
> if I can safley delete the .* files in his home dirrectory.
>
> I was also curious, if I change the permissions on /home/ftp to 755 then
> people will be able to read but not write to the dirrectory (do they need
> x permission to download a file?). But how do I make it so everyone can
> read but only certain users can write. My goal would to not use local
> accounts but pull usernames and passwords from a MySQL database. I would
> rather not transfer the username and password in clear text.
>
> Any thoughts or how toos I can follow?

My first thought was that if you are concerned about the integrity of
your passwords during transport, you may want to look into something
other then FTP.  SFTP or SCP for example ( and I'm sure there are a
list of other options...)

http://www.openssh.org/
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=sftp
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=scp