Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 1996 13:08:58 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        fyeung@netific.com (francis yeung)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: webbox with bsdi

> 	The WebBox is a standalone BSDI system designed for
> 	personal web browsiing on TV. It contains no
> 	hard disk and has a CD drive.
>
> 	Is there a way that I can generate a standalone FreeBSD
> 	without hard disk ?

Yes; you will need to ROM the text portion of the kernel image, and
ROM-with-load-to-RAM-on-startup the data.  The kernel load address
will need to be the ROM address after the segment register load.

This is typical configuration for any ROM'able kernel for any system.

>	What should I do with the swap space area ?

Just don't have one.  This will limit your memory the the amount
of real memory available.

>	Is there a virtual disk system (memory based) in FreeBSD ?

Yes.

> 	If there is a one, can I assign the swap space to a file which
> 	resides in the virtual file system ?

No.  The RAM disk is subtracted from the available virtual memory (which
is the available real memory + the available swap).  In this case, there
would be no difference between real memory and the RAM disk.  It
probably wouldn't work anyway -- it would be recursive.

> 	I have no intention to build a web box. But I want to create
> 	a floppy disk with a very small kernel which will run tcpdump
> 	so that I can use it as standalone traffic monitor to be used
> 	by the school for monitoring student's network traffic.
> 	It has to be standalone system and should NOT be downloaded from
> 	the network. Basically, the system gets booted up from the floppy
> 	disk and starts traffic monitoring.

Replace one or more of the utilities on the install disk; this should do
what you want.

We do this locally, though we use a netboot to do it instead of using a
floppy.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---