Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 1998 09:49:01 +0000
From:      labrinop@pop.vaniercollege.qc.ca
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation with System Commander 3.03

On Sun, 13 Sep 1998 Scott Chappa wrote:

> Hopefully this is the correct forum to ask this question.  I
> currently have System Commander installed with Win95-SR1.  My HDD
> storage setup is the following (on the same chain):
>
> C: 341 MB
>
> 6.2 GB (into the following partitions)
> D:  1.6 Gb
> E:  1.6 Gb
> F:  1.6 Gb
> G:  1.6 Gb
>
> My desired scheme is to make the G partition completely BSD and
> install the OS there.  First of all, is this possible?  Also when I
> make the BSD boot disk and rebooted, I came to an menu that talked
> about disk slices.  I assume slices=partitions?  Thanks for any
> help.

  FreeBSD can boot (and run) from a slice in the second drive, but if
i'm correct, on your hard drive, D: is a primary partition and E:,
F:, and G: are in an extended partition (ie: G is in F and F is in
E).  Since FreeBSD can't boot from an extended partition, you will
have to:
  1)  Reorganize your hard drives to make room
  2)  Release G: with a good disk editor (technical!)

PeterL