Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 1997 12:36:10 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Scary lawsuit

On Wed, 27 Aug 1997, John Fieber wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Aug 1997, Narvi wrote:
>
> > Why are they threating W3C? Web sure is not and does not use such things.
>
> W3C is proposing an extension to HTTP in support of replicating
> data, i.e. web sites much like the FreeBSD mirrors are replicated
> using rsync.

Well, so they are getting somewhere with the URN concept and support for
it... I haven't looked at the W3 page for some time.

> > If I am not wrong you would have to be the author/owner of the thing you
> > patent?
>
> Yes, but how hard is it to convince the patent office that you
> are the original author?  Original authorship is not something
> that can be proved absolutely, it can only be positively
> disproved.

By calling lots of people who have done things like this in ages before
that company probably ever existed yet alone submitted a patent?

Well, the FreeBSD rdist manpage says it originated in 4.3BSD and the date
at the end of the man page reads may 1994. Rcp (I don't know if it
qualifies) is at least of 4.2BSD. It should be quite safe, considering the
mainframe people most probably did things like this even earlier.

It should be a safe case.

> If the patent stands, they could potentially demand royalties for
> things like cvsup.  Yech!

Move all cvsup servers/distribution points to Europe and claim you no
longer support it?

> -john

	Sander

	There is no love, no good, no happiness and no future -
	all these are just illusions.