Date:      Tue, 02 Apr 2002 15:13:24 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anti-Unix Site Runs Unix

Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

> > > Where did you get that idea?
> >
> > The Mozilla website.
>
> URL, please?
>
> I had a look at the release notes for 0.9.9 and what I found was,
>
>   Mozilla has been tested with all 1.3.0_* versions of the JRE, and JRE
>   1.3.1, and beta versions of JDK 1.4. J2SE releases previous to
>   1.3.0_01 will not work with Mozilla .

Last time I checked, these did not run on FreeBSD.  The URL
for the FAQ entry for Java (again!) is:

	http://www.gerbilbox.com/newzilla/mozilla/usingmoz07.php

> (http://www.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla0.9.9/#java)
>
> It doesn't seem quite the same as what you're saying...
> To install the default plugin, all you have to do is go to a page
> which requires java, and it will prompt you to download the plugin,
> and then it will download and install the plugin for you.  That's it.
> If you prefer the IBM plugin you have to do it yourself but it's
> pretty easy.

It may have escaped your notice, but this is a FreeBSD
list... 8-) 8-)... how do you make it work on FreeBSD?

Running Linux binaries is not an answer.

Also note that the only three semi-supported ("semi", as *none*
are _supported_) Java are Linux, MacOS, and Win32.

> It does say Java isn't working yet on Mac OS X, however.

> > > What exactly does "supported" mean?  When it crashes, do they come and
> > > hold your hand?
> >
> > Yes, for a fee.
>
> That was a rhetorical question.  The real question is, do they fix it
> for you so that it doesn't crash?  If they do that, why does it
> continue to crash for everyone else, and if they don't, what are you
> paying them for?  Surely not for installing and re-installing the
> software, which is easy.

I guess I could ask the same question about Windows, in general...

> Incidentally, if you want a good browser on your Solaris or AIX
> workstation, surely the right people to ask are Sun and IBM -- it's
> their job to provide one.  It could be mozilla, or it could be
> something else (Sun is planning to supply a GNOME 2 desktop, so I
> guess they'll support galeon then).  If you want a third-party
> browser, a system administrator who's interested in his users' welfare
> would pick a good browser and not just one which is "supported", or
> nobody would be using FreeBSD, we'd all be using Microsoft products.

The recommended one from Sun is Netscape.  That's really no
surprise, considering they and AOL together bought the company.

-- Terry