Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 2001 21:04:16 +0100
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Rob <europax@home.com>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Open Source Development Laboratory ...

Rob said on Jan 28, 2001 at 10:45:49:

> I believe DeCss is in the ports collection on my OpenBSD box.   Rob.

The decss in the ports collection of FreeBSD is something unrelated,
a program to remove CSS from webpages.  On a brief look at the OpenBSD
site, it seems that what you're talking about is the same thing.

In any case, I wouldn't argue that the BSDs go out and include illegal
software in their collections.  I'm only arguing that the BSD
community try and be involved in the broader issues of free/open
source software, through articles, discussion, public statements,
whatever.  The issue with DeCSS is that its purpose is to be able to
play DVDs on operating systems which are not officially supported, and
to do so it defeats an encryption mechanism.  This would not have been
illegal before the DMCA came in.  The DVD case looks like a test of
the DMCA, and if the DMCA survives this test, the consequences for all
free software including the BSD's would be quite serious.  I think the
DMCA is only the first step, and it definitely looks more and more
like RMS's "right to read" story
is coming true much faster than anyone thought ...

Rahul.