Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 00:06:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      James <dominus@lies.dyn.ml.org>
To:        Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
Cc:        allen campbell <allenc@verinet.com>, newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A first encounter with 'vi'

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Tim Gerchmez wrote:

> example, why is there not something as easy to use as the Win95 editor
> "EDIT" (open a DOS box and type edit, or go to DOS 7.0 and type edit).
> Fully text-mode graphical, uses standardized keys and mouse commands the
> rest of the world uses, can edit multiple files, files not limited in size,
> etc.  This is the best text-mode editor I've ever used, and it's provided
> by Microsoft for use on DOS.  Don't tell me *nix has anything its equal in
> text mode - THERE IS NOTHING AS EASY TO USE AND AS POWERFUL IN TEXT MODE.

When DOS Edit can give me my macos, auto correction, and keybinds, I will
use it.  Until then I will stick to vi.  Last time I checked DOS edit was
still limited to 64k files.  They might have changed it in Win95/NT, but
who cares, I have vi.

> Come on... I *know* BSD programmers can do better.  Write a *CLONE* of the
> EDIT utility included with Win95 for text-mode use.  An *EXACT* clone.
> Consider this a challenge!  I don't think you can do it, MS has better
> programmers... (trying to piss you off enough to do it!)...

If you are that desperate for a better editor try EMACS, Jed, Jove, Joe,
or pico.  Trying to piss people off is not a way to accomplish anything.

James