Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2000 17:13:18 +0100
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Making -STABLE

Hi!

On Wed, Jan 05, 2000 at 10:54:58AM -0500, Coleman Kane wrote:
> Hi, I have made the PGCC 2.95.1 port and tried to compile the new stable system
> with it. Before I get flamed for this, I know that the sources are still made
> for the 2.7 GCC compiler. I was wondering when many of the discrepencies would
> be worked out in the source code. There are some simple things that prevent a
> successful build under any EGCS version, for example in
> /usr/src/contrib/gnu/libg++/libg++/src/ACG.cc, the variable
> randomStateTable[][3] is simply defined as type 'static' rather than 'static
> int'. This causes trouble on the compilation unless it is fixed. There are some
> other problems too. If I have a lot of time, I can compile some sources under
> GCC 2.95 and others under 2.7 when I absolutely can't fix them or don't feel
> like fixing them. Is 4.0-CURRENT expected to be GCC 2.95 'compliant'?

AFAIK, the 3.x branch is not going to migrate to GCC-2.95. When the now
-CURRENT becomes -STABLE, EGCS support will be introduced with it but not
before that. I think they use EGCS as default compiler already over there at
-CURRENT. To quote from the RELNOTES.TXT of the 4.0 snap as of Jan. 3.:

"1.3. USERLAND CHANGES

The base C/C++ compiler has been upgraded from GCC 2.7.2 to GCC 2.95.2.
This gives users full ISO C++ support, and preliminary C9x support."

All we need is a bit of patience, the port was included only
because some other ports (like FlightGear) already depend on it.

Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM