Date:      Thu, 12 Jun 2008 22:24:13 +0200
From:      David Naylor <naylor.b.david@gmail.com>
To:        Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey@goldmark.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and User Security

--nextPart6191335.KVvtVEzS8j

On Thursday 12 June 2008 18:43:40 you wrote:
> On Jun 12, 2008, at 8:19 AM, David Naylor wrote:
> > I think this argument is rather mute, just because there are no
> > programs
> > exploiting security vulnerabilities does not been there are not
> > vulnerabilities,
>
> But it is far from moot if you are interested in the actual threat
> against your system.  In a sense, using a less popular OS is a form of
> "security by obscurity" which is not to be heavily relied on, but
> still it does make a real, practical, difference in the case that you
> described.

Very true, however having a large scale usage of FreeBSD (for example, if a=
=20
government were to adopt it) would bring pressure to bare.  For anything bu=
t=20
such a large scale adoption in the medium to long term then it is a=20
valuable 'asset'. =20

> > and a determined cracker would create his own program.
>
> You have not articulated what you are trying to defend against.  Do
> you anticipate determined crackers going after your particular system
> and what resources will such attackers have?  We can't talk about a
> system being "secure" in general, but the question needs to be framed
> in terms of "secure against what".

This is a general enquiry.  What had sparked my interest in this subject is=
=20
the above mentioned article.  In this case it is a workstation used to acce=
ss=20
and manage account and cash flows.  The threat would be anyone gaining acce=
ss=20
to 'divert' funds to incorrect  accounts, for obvious personal gains. =20

Specifically, the two threats would be remote attach (such as spyware being=
=20
deployed, or gaining remote access) or physical access (in which case keepi=
ng=20
the username and password safe will be the only option?  Assuming their is =
no=20
compromise on the human side)

> > That said I hope there are, actually, no vulnerabilities.
>
> That is demanding too much.  What you need to hope for is a
> combination of "no known unpatched vulnerabilities at the moment" and
> more importantly "procedures and practices to keep things that way".
> As Bruce Schneier likes to say, "Security is not a product but a
> process".  The vast majority of actual system compromises involve
> failure of system administrators to keep systems patched and follow
> good security practices.

Good point!  Thank goodness for automatic signed incremental updates (that=
=20
actually work)

Leason: always keep your system up-to-date!  (With security patches)

> One reason that I switched from Linux to FreeBSD is that I find it
> much easier to maintain FreeBSD, particularly in terms of security
> updates.  I have been responsible for Linux machines that did get
> rooted because I was having problems keeping them up-to-date for a
> variety of reasons.
>
> > [Security through obscurity is just an illusion]
>
> In your post you mentioned concern about spyware.  It is not an
> illusion that FreeBSD has not been targeted by spyware writers while
> Windows has.  Even if some of that is the consequence of security by
> obscurity, it is no illusion.  Of course we need to understand that
> those security benefits from obscurity are fragile, but we shouldn't
> dismiss it entirely.

Point taken. =20

> Again, what sorts of benefits such things may add (or subtract)
> depends on the nature of the attacker.

Thank you for your feedback

David