Date:      Sat, 7 Jun 2008 21:38:49 -0500
From:      Derek Graham <derek.graham@att.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Flashplugin

on Saturday 07 June 2008Saturday 07 June 2008 Jona Joachim Jona Joachim
<jaj@hcl-club.lu> wrote:

> On 2008-06-07, Dick Hoogendijk <dick@nagual.nl> wrote:
> > On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 15:33:26 -0500
> >
> > "Sam Fourman Jr." <sfourman@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> use Firefox for Windows and use wine, then install the windows Flash 9
> >> plugin
> >
> > People choosing FreeBSD shouldn't be "forced" to run windowish
> > solution. The OS is not supported. That's a major problem in these
> > modern times, although lots of fbsd people tend to say it is not.
> > That's not everyday's live however. FreeBSD does not make the web.
>
> Flash is a big pain IMO.
> The Flash question has been asked *a lot* of times on this list.
> The answer usually boils down to "use www/nspluginwrapper" or "use
> linux-firefox". Both "solutions" are far from optimal.
> My solution is to simply ignore Flash content. It makes your "online
> experience" much more enjoyable. This is my personal choice of course.
> I think it is rather reducing when you have to beg unkind vendors to
> eventually consider that you exist.
> I don't think proprietary binary formats have their place on the web. The
> WWW is an information exchange platform, why would you want to diffuse
> information around the globe when you know that a lot of people will not be
> able to decipher it? It's a bit arrogant I think.
>
> Jona

Yeah I understand where you are going with that, but at the same time every
interface is flash, java, or silverlight. Fortunately my current banking
choice greendot doesnt use flash, but there are alot of web apps that require
it to work and require using the latest version. There is where we need
flash. We need these companies to realise that if majority of the websites on
the planet use it, then they need to support every operating system with the
means of accessing  the web via a current maintained gui browser. Java,
Flash, Silverlight and all applications that are used heavily in todays
websites need to be made standardly ready and available to Windows,
Macintosh, Unix(including linux and freebsd and all 'nix os)

I do not want to have to use wine to get to a important secure login for a
bank or similar site when I am running something better then windows

My $0.02
Sincerely,
Derek A. Graham
President