Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 1999 14:08:33 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Windows Refund Day: Watch out for Linux tactics

At 12:50 PM 2/14/99 -0800, Mike Smith wrote:

>Brett - will _you_ be there?

I'll be in Southern California. I was originally going to go to the
Bay Area. But when I saw the FAQ and my friends the NetWare admins
opted out (and also opted out of arranging to bring more NetWare
people), I decided to stay in LA, where I'll already be on a
consulting job. I'll have to fight traffic to get to one of
their sites; traffic there is NASTY.

>For all your irritation, you know how to
>handle these people, as well as spot them.  Remember that most of us are
>tech types; give us a break.

It's not hard. One of the best way is to have something WRITTEN
to hand them, so that when they gather their notes the information is
there. I'd recommend anything you have about FreeBSD, including the
booklet that comes inside the CD-ROM. Copies of positive reviews
will also get their attention, as will a simple "What is FreeBSD?"
FAQ. Remember, about 3/4ths of the COMPUTER trade press has never heard
of FreeBSD, and I expect that the number of people in the MAINSTREAM press
who have heard of it is so vanishingly small as to be negligible. Just
getting a mention in the stories that run on the major newswires would be
invaluable.

>I'll be at the Oakland staging area I expect.  (Cursing that we don't
>have the Daemon Babe outfits yet...)

You're not talking about the blonde female daemon character that recently
popped up in Daemon News, are you? ;-)

--Brett