Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 1995 15:45:17 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com (user alias)
Subject:   Re: weird filesystem state (cannot remove files)

>     Christoph> /kernel: Operation not permitted
>
>     Christoph> I believe I installed these kernels using make install
>     Christoph> rather than mv /kernel /tmp ; mv kernel /kernel.
>
> The `make install' sets the system immutable flag through an install
> option.  See chflags(1).  You want `chflags noschg /kernel' so you can
> futz with it.

Thanks to all who responded to use 'chflags noschg'. I figured out by reading
the man page.

> Besides, what's wrong with a mode 555 /kernel?

Nothing unless it confuses the 'mundane root user' who is not aware of
BSD 4.4 chflags. I vote for a 'See also' in chmod or a FAQ entry.

> --
> Sean Kelly
> NOAA Forecast Systems Lab, Boulder Colorado USA
>
> Folks still remember the day ole Bob Riley came bouncing down that
> dirt road in his pickup. Pretty soon, it was bouncing higher and
> higher. The tires popped, and the shocks broke, but that truck kept
> bouncing. Some say it bounced clean over the moon, but whoever says
> that is a damn liar.  -- Jack Handey

FreeBSD blues.physik.rwth-aachen.de 2.0-BUILT-19950619 FreeBSD 2.0-BUILT-1995
0619 #1: Mon Jun 19 19:54:08 MET DST 1995     kuku@blues.physik.rwth-aachen.d
e:/usr/src/sys/compile/BLUESGUS  i386