Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2000 17:18:16 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: making release

Alexandr Listopad wrote in list.freebsd-stable:
 > ...but it not what do I mean... I need to make RELEASE (ftp-like).
 > I know that I need a FULL CVS tree as handbook wrote:
 >
 > ---
 >   Second, you have to have the whole CVS repository at hand. To get this
 >                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 >   you can use CVSUP but in your supfile set the release name to cvs and
 >   remove any tag or date fields:
 > ---
 >
 > but it is so difficult for me (14.4Kbit/s - our I-net... ;/)

If you have a fairly recent FreeBSD CD-ROM, you will find the
CVS repository on it.  Install it on your harddisk, then use
cvs to bring it up-to-date.  If you do this, you won't have to
download the whole repository, because you already have most of
it (from the CD-ROM), and cvs will only get the diffs necessary
to bring it up-to-date.

However, there is another way, but it requires some hacking.
You can modify /usr/src/release/Makefile so it does not require
the CVS repository, but just copies /usr/src and /usr/ports
instead.  I did this once (for different reasons, though).
But note that you should know what you're doing.  Read the
release Makefile and try to understand what it does.  If you
don't, then you shouldn't even try to "make release".

 > I have full src-es, cvsuped today. My configs is:
 > [...]

You also need the ports collection.  (Well, I guess you can
hack the Makefile to omit the ports collection, too, if you
don't need it, but then you won't get the docs either, because
building the docs requires some ports [textproc/docproj, which
uses several other ports].)

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)