Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 2003 01:13:50 +0200
From:      MC <mc@hack.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What are people using for MUA's nowadays?

Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be> writes:

> 	So, when are you going to be shipping emacsBSD?  I mean, it
> 	shouldn't be hard to implement the entire OS inside of emacs,
> 	right? ;-)

Some years ago, I actually experimented with a wrapper around Emacs
as init, running it as the only userland process. That's the closest
I have ever come to a real /live/ LispM, if you don't count looking
at what was little more than garbage...

It would probably be quite possible to link Emacs with the stuff from
the Flux OS Kit and create a standalone operating system as well. I'm
really surprised someone hasn't done it yet. I know that the Rice PLT
guys did it with their Scheme implementation, for instance, and it
supposedly took only five hours to get their new 'SchemeOS' running.

MC