Date:      Tue, 30 Aug 2005 23:08:31 +0200
From:      Pav Lucistnik <pav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@freebsdmall.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org, Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>, murray@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: abandoning jade

--=-pggM2hiQgvPoejZqXNjt

Pav Lucistnik p=ED=B9e v =FAt 30. 08. 2005 v 22:28 +0200:
> Murray Stokely p=ED=B9e v =FAt 30. 08. 2005 v 12:41 -0700:
> > On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 04:35:16AM +0900, Hiroki Sato wrote:
> > > Pav Lucistnik <pav@FreeBSD.org> wrote
> > >   in <1125401964.4959.28.camel@pav.hide.vol.cz>:
> > >=20
> > > pa> Why we do still stick with jade, when better faster happier openj=
ade is
> > > pa> available? If it's purely historical sentiment, isn't it time for=
> > > pa> global switch to openjade?
> > >=20
> > >  IIRC, Murray said that OpenJade had a problem on rendering
> > >  the handbook in printable format some years ago.
> > >  Murray, is it correct?  If so, do you remember what the problem is?
> > >  If there is no longer the problem, I agree with switch to OpenJade.
> >=20
> > There have historically been lots of problems with OpenJade.  Whoever
> > wants to make the change should verify that PDF versions of all of our
> > documents in the tree can build with OpenJade (and with/without index,
> > etc..).
> >=20
> > If it works, great.  Just because it is on a sourceforge page doesn't
> > make it better maintained.  Hardly anyone was working on it when I had
> > a commit bit to the openjade sourceforge project.
>=20
> Just tried to build Porter's Handbook into PDF with openjade and
> jadetex, got 11 pages of garbage. Not good, not at all.

Correction: I got 11 pages of garbage when working in my locale. When I
put LANG=3DC in front of make, it generates pretty nice PDF...

Here is the PH generated with openjade+jadetex on amd64:

http://raven.oook.cz/ph.pdf

Looks good to me. It generates a fair amount of warnings, I don't know
if those are normal in jade builds too?

--=20
Pav Lucistnik <pav@oook.cz>
              <pav@FreeBSD.org>