Date:      Sat, 22 Aug 1998 07:41:43 -0400
From:      "G.R. Gaudreau" <grgaud@pop3.sprint.ca>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD main platform & Linux

At 09:59 PM 8/21/98 -0600, you wrote:
>kevink@mindless.com wrote:
>>
>> Who uses FreeBSD as their primary computing platform at home?
>>

>I maintain one main server running FreeBSD and several older pentiums as
>X terminals running a mix of FreeBSD and Linux, all on a small Ethernet
>network.  One of the X terminals boots into Windows for MS Word.  I can
>not remember the last time I did that.  Hmmm.

How well does the Linux platform work?

>Recently, I was surprised to realize that my server, in all its various
>forms over the years, has never crashed.  The X terminals lunch
>themselves from time to time due to X server bugs and hardware
>failures.  However the server, since 2.1.5 when I started running
>FreeBSD, has never crashed.  How boring. :)

Bored, are you Allen? Just come over to my place. Windoze 95 crashes on a
regular basis. It also gives me problems when it's been running for a while
with a couple of big apps like Adobe & Corel, or I get the ever-popular
"Blue Screen of Death", or doesn't shut down properly and has to run
Scandisk to restart, or... just insert whatever problem you can think of.

Plus, I've had to re-install it, oh, maybe 7 or 8 times now, in the past 2
years. I HATE THIS WANNABE OS!!! I can hardly wait to get my HDD back from
the shop, so I can install a real OS. I'd have it in my box right now if it
wasn't for my son, who uses my computer for his fledgeling graphics
business. He's uses Adobe and Corel, so he needs Win95 in the box. Anyone
interested in buying a slightly used son? <lol>

"Resistence is futile, you WILL be assimilated."
-- Billy-Bob Gates, the Borg

Resist the Evil Empire,

G.R. Gaudreau
grgaud@sprint.ca