Date:      Fri, 4 Aug 2006 10:18:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Andrew Gould <andrewgould@yahoo.com>
To:        DW <spock@dwinner.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: .bash_logout and shutdown -- need ideas

--- DW <spock@dwinner.net> wrote:

> Andrew Gould wrote:
> > --- DW <spock@dwinner.net> wrote:
> >

> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Have a bit of an issue here:
> >>
> >> Just started using a .bash_logout script to
> handle
> >> doing my unison
> >> commands whenever I logout at end of day so I
> don't
> >> forget to sync my
> >> local homedir to my server before I head home.
> >>
> >> Works fine as long as I just do a "# exit" when
> I'm
> >> done.
> >>
> >> But more often than not, I do a "# sudo shutdown
> -p
> >> now".
> >>
> >> The problem with that though, is that the
> shutdown
> >> process runs as root,
> >> and just drops the system, and I'm never actually
> >> getting logged out as
> >> much as booted out. So my .bash_logout doesn't
> run,
> >> and thus no unison
> >> unless I remember to run it manually first.
> >>
> >> Any ideas on how to work around this sitch?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> DW
> >>

> > Instead of using .bash_logout, why don't you
> create a
> > script that runs all of your logout tasks and then
> > ends with 'sudo shutdown -p now'?
> >
> That's a good idea; I'll probably end up doing
> something like that; I
> was actually thinking of of just making bash aliases
> for reboot and
> shutdown, I guess that would do the same thing.
> The other problem though I just discovered is that
> that will work fine
> if I'm just in on a console, but if I'm running
> XFCE, and choose reboot
> or shutdown from xfce's exit menu, that won't work.
> If I can't find a
> way to get xfce to use my exit script(s), then I
> guess I'll just have to
> get into the habit of bailing out to a console first
> before shutting down.
>

> > Andrew L. Gould

I've never examined the shutdown procedures used by
windows managers; but the concept should be the same.
You could write a script with your logout tasks
followed by the command executed by XFCE's shutdown
commands.  (I'm sure someone on this list can address
this part.)

Next, create a button or menu option on XFCE's panel
to execute your script from a terminal application.

Andrew L. Gould