Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2000 12:37:27 +0300
From:      "Artem Koutchine" <matrix@ipform.ru>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Traffic shaping

Hi!

I need to shape the traffic in a very specific way. I am using ipfw
pipe feature, but that's not enough for me now or i might be missing
some features present in ipfw traffic shaping.

So, what i need to do is to allocate for MAIL ports (POp3, SMTP, et.c)
bandwidth at least 32Kbit, but if more available it can be used to.
The channel is 64/128 FR, but it is always working in 128K mode.
So, what i need to do is to split the channel is a bunch of preudo
FR channels N/128.
For example:
Mail: 32/128
Interactive shells (telnet, ssh): 16/128
Hi priority ftp, http: 32/128
Others: 32/128

So, the summ of the guaranted bandwidth for each pipe is never more than the
maximum speed of the channel (e.g.128Kbit).
I hope i am explaining this clear.
It might look like creating a single 128K pipe, and the piping through this
pipe a bunch of other pipes, which are dynamic (say, 16 and UP), so the
minimum speed will be 16 and if something is available in the main 128K
pipe the subpipe will use it.

So, it is possible to shape traffic like this?

Artem