Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 10:39:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        ambrisko@whistle.com, dillon@apollo.backplane.com
Cc:        dhw@whistle.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, thompson@gateway.tgsoft.com
Subject:   Re: bin/8183

>Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 10:30:08 -0800 (PST)
>From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>

>:Note I applied this "fix" to my -current machine and now Amanda won't work.
>:It complains about bad packets.  Note it uses UDP.  Without this change
>:we didn't have this problem only that after 5 days inetd claimed it
>:can exec it.   Killing and restarting inetd doesn't help.  Running the
>:old one does.

>:I can try some fixes etc. but I may not be able to try them much in the
>:next to weeks and I may be away from email a couple of days.

I can handle simple things like discussing the configuration some,
though I don't change Doug's machine much....  (I have root access, but
I try to be non-intrusive.)

>    Amanda?  The tape backup system?  What is the inetd control line you
>    are using?  More information is needed...

Information?  We got that, no problem:

pau-amma[1]% rsh crab 'tail -1 /etc/inetd.conf'
amanda	dgram	udp	wait	operator	/usr/local/libexec/amanda/amandad	amandad

FYI, it's the same line that works OK (for a while) with the old inetd.

Symptoms Doug & I noted this AM (with patched inted) included amandad
whining about dup[licate] packets, and the amandad process hanging
around far beyond a reasonable approximation of its useful(? --
especially given that all it was doing is whining) life.

Should -hackers be on the addressee list on this?

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621