Date:      Fri, 19 Aug 2005 09:12:15 -0700
From:      "Stuart Cianos" <scianos@seq.org>
To:        <freebsd-database@freebsd.org>
Cc:        uzi@bmby.com
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD hardware solution for a database server  (Uzi)

Hi Uzi -

That is a decent configuration for a variety of tasks. What type of speed =
issues are you seeing: is it limited to a couple of queries? How many =
transactions are you running in a given time period? Have you optimized =
the indexes on your tables for your particular tasks and/or operations?

If you copy your configuration file and post it to the list (make sure you =
remove any sensitive info like usernames or passwords, if you store that =
type of thing in there) we might be able to help you a bit more. If you =
haven't tuned your config file for your particular configuration, then =
this can also result in performance not being up to par. Ensure that your =
kernel is compiled for SMP capability and that your MySQL is compiled with =
optimization ON for maximum throughput. While the optimization doesn't =
make a huge difference in the short run, millions of transactions later a =
couple of miliseconds here and miliseconds there add up to real time.

RAID 0/1 is ideal, although RAID 5 is very sufficient for most all =
purposes in this case. If we were running Oracle or Sybase, then different =
RAID configurations suit different storage requirements, i.e. RAID 5 for =
the table data storage and RAID 0/1 for the transaction logs. There =
reasons for this get fairly technical, but if you are interested in the =
reasons behind this you can google the topic. MySQL doesn't have such =
demanding performance tuning requirements.

- Stuart

*-
Message: 1