Date:      Fri, 26 Sep 2003 23:36:39 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, Marc Ramirez <marc.ramirez@bluecirclesoft.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What are people using for MUA's nowadays?

At 10:14 AM 9/22/2003, Brad Knowles wrote:

>         If you want a GUI MUA that incorporates anti-spam features, I
> highly recommend Eudora 6.

Eudora has a nice interface. However, it does also have some problems:

1) Searching for text and messages is slow and hogs memory. (A simple
search can cause your system to run out of free RAM and start to thrash.)

2) Attachments are "detached" from messages and all stored in ONE SINGLE
DIRECTORY instead of in the mailbox where the message is stored. This
makes for a huge, cluttered mess in the directory of attachments, and
also makes it difficult for other MUAs to import the mail if you decide
you want to switch (more on this below). Metadata about messages is
likewise stored in an index file in a proprietary format. Losing the
index file associated with a mailbox can be a disaster, as can corruption
of an index file (which can happen as a result of a system crash).

3) Very few MUAs can successfully import mail from Eudora. Mozilla and
Opera fail, most of the time, when they try. So, you may be locked in.
And since Eudora runs only on a limited number of platforms, your e-mail
usage may be locked into those platforms forever after.

4) The user interface is governed by an INI file which contains many
entries in a cryptic and undocumented format. If the INI file gets
corrupted, the user interface can literally go berserk -- with windows
that you cannot control or manipulate. This has happened a few times to me.

5) Qualcomm now has close ties to Microsoft, and so uses the Internet
Explorer rendering engine in Eudora. This opens the door to all sorts of
malware. If you turn off the use of MSIE, many messages in HTML format
won't render correctly.

I have been using Eudora for years, but will likely switch away as soon
as I can find an MUA that will import from it correctly.

--Brett Glass