Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 1999 03:48:23 -0400
From:      "Jay Oliver" <kythorn@scorched.com>
To:        <freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD 3.3RC is crashing when using natd.

I have recently cvsup'd to 3.3RC, and just today started using natd on that
machine. Overall, this went quite well, but I have one issue that I cannot
seem to resolve by myself.

Starting with the reboot after I had edited /etc/rc.conf and re-compiled my
kernel for natd (IPDIVERT and IPFIREWALL options) I started getting
spontaneous reboots.  There is no /core after these, nor is there a stack
dump of any sort resulting from this.  The only output produced at all is a
scant two or three lines:

Panic: sbappendaddr
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds
Syncing disks...

With the lack of a core or stack dump, I don't know what information I can
provide to shed further light on this issue.  The machine itself is a simple
enough pentium 166 with 32 megs of ram.  The ethernet cards I am using are
both Linksys LNE100TX's, using the "pn" device driver. Currently pn0 is
connected to the hub for my LAN, and pn1 is connected to my ADSL modem.  I
have tried switching the cables and then switching the ifconfig's, etc in
/etc/rc.conf, but the reboots still are happening. I previously had one of
these cards in the FreeBSD machine, and was doing the NAT via a Win98
machine, this configuration ran without a hitch (On the FreeBSD end of
things anyway, heh) for over a month, and also ran fine for the past couple
days since I went to 3.3RC.  The reboots themselves don't appear to have any
rhyme or reason behind them, at least to me, as I FTP'd several hundred megs
over the course of a few hours without a problem, and then had one of these
reboots while checking my email (from a different machine, in both cases).

I shall be more than happy to provide any further information that will help
shed light on this subject, it has completely baffled me.