Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 1999 12:33:04 -0700
From:      Bryan Talbot <btalbot@ucsd.edu>
To:        "Greg Quinlan" <Greg.Quinlan@swlct.sthames.nhs.uk>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: New rc.conf entry question.

I accomplished this by simply setting
firewall_type="/etc/firewall_rules.m4" and modifying the last little bit of
the /etc/rc.firewall to read ...

elif [ "${firewall_type}" != "UNKNOWN" -a -r "${firewall_type}" ]; then
         $fwcmd -p /usr/bin/m4 ${firewall_type}
fi

This puts all the custom firewall rules into one location that should never
be disturbed by an upgrade.  I couldn't get around the need to modify the
rc.firewall file somewhat though to allow for the use of M4.

-Bryan