Date:      Fri, 04 Aug 2006 14:02:35 -0400
From:      Xiao-Yong Jin <xj2106@columbia.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nppdf.so: undefined symbol "__ctype_b_loc"

Kees Plonsz <kees@jeremino.homeunix.net> writes:

> On Friday 04 August 2006 16:45, Xiao-Yong Jin wrote:
>> Hi all, after upgrading firefox and acroread, I got this when I tried
>> to use the plugin,
>>
>> LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/X11R6/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/ENU/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so
>> [/usr/X11R6/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/ENU/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so: Undefined symbol "__ctype_b_loc"]
>>
>> I have these lines in my /etc/libmap.conf,
>>
>> # Acrobat7 with Mozilla/Firebird/Galeon/Epiphany/Konqueror/Kazehakase
>> [/usr/X11R6/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/ENU/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so]
>> libc.so.6                       pluginwrapper/acrobat.so
>>
>> Bug?  Or my configuration fault?
>>
> An "Undefined symbol" error is a shared object file is always a version mismatch.
> You have to update "nppdf.so" to match the version what the main programm expects.

Likely so.  I guess it should be upgraded with the acroread7-7.0.8,1

I'm thinking if the problem is caused by the
linuxpluginwrapper-20051113_4.  The shared object file
/usr/local/lib/pluginwrapper/acrobat.so the wrapper supplies might not
be sufficient for the new nppdf.so of the acroread7.

If so, that's a bug.  Has anyone else been caught by this error?  I
couldn't find anything related in the current bug reports.

--
Xiao-Yong