Date:      Sat, 29 Aug 1998 00:21:26 +0300
From:      "Jukka Similä" <lmkjuksi@info1.info.tampere.fi>
To:        Andrew Boothman <andrew@boothman.easynet.co.uk>
Cc:        Martin Poulin <mpoulin@honk.org>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Back on topic...

Andrew Boothman wrote:

> Being a poor school, I'll get a 486DX2 with maybe 8MB RAM to work with.
>
> The machine certainly doesn't need X, so I hope this hardware will be
> enough!

My opinion: It will certainly be enough, if you don't care about small
lag sometimes.
I had 486dx2 66Mhz with 8 MB and I got X running - worked much better
than Win95 with the same machine , and I even made some 3D desing and
rendering. - but I didn't have anykind of network installed. Now I got
486Dx2 80Mhz 24MB and it runs X just fine. (however I'm planning to buy
some new hardware - maybe 166mhz pentium and a scsi harddisk - I am
running out of disk space and I can't play mp3's because of a lazy CPU)

Jukka Simila