Date:      Fri, 4 Aug 2006 11:34:35 -0700
From:      David Johnson <david@usermode.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   cups problems

Like millions of other users, my printing capabilities came to an abrupt
end when I upgraded cups to version 1.2. After weeks of wasting time on
the problem, I'm still not printing.

I've seen lots of hints and tips on this list and elsewhere, but they
just don't work for me. I also get the sense they're not working for
lots of other people either. I have a brand new (three months) laserjet
printer, and I'll be damned if I have to reboot into Windows to use it!

I can "downgrade" to an older cups, but that's not a permanent solution.

Symptoms:
Nothing happens when I print a file (or print test page). I've waited up
to ten minutes. When I cancel the job and start a new one, I then get
the following message in the cups admin page: "USB port busy; will
retry in 30 seconds...". This message stays even after unplugging
printer USB port. A restart of cupsd is necessary to make it go away.

OS:
FreeBSD-6.1-RELEASE

Printer:
HP LaserJet 1320, USB
Using ppd file downloaded from linuxprinting.org

lpstat -t output (without the port busy message):
scheduler is running
system default destination: laserjet
device for laserjet: usb:/dev/ulpt0
laserjet accepting requests since Fri Aug  4 11:20:53 2006
printer laserjet now printing laserjet-36.  enabled since Fri Aug  4
11:20:53 2006
laserjet-36             root             18432   Fri Aug  4 11:20:53
2006

Relevant packages:
cups-1.2.0
cups-base-1.2.0_2
cups-pstoraster-8.15
(not using hplip, should I?)

dmesg:
ulpt0: Hewlett-Packard hp LaserJet 1320 series, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2,
iclass 7/1
ulpt0: using bi-directional mode

Permissions on devices:
crw-rw----  1 root  cups    0, 151 Aug  4 08:43 /dev/ulpt0
crw-rw----  1 root  cups    0, 152 Aug  4 08:43 /dev/unlpt0

All BSD printing executables have been renamed out of the way (lp.org,
lpr.org, etc). The old cups.sh script no longer exists. devfs.rules was
modified according to some tips found floating about online. I also
note that these tips, which seems to be necessary, are not in the
handbook or in any pkg_message file.

Any help leading to a solution will be greatly appreciated. I would also
love to see the cups ports provide sufficient (and correct)
documentation to get printing to work.

Thank you,

--
David Johnson <david@usermode.org>