Date:      Thu, 02 Nov 2000 12:35:38 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Ras-Sol <ras-sol@usa.net>
Cc:        tony <tony@tntpro.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the kernel fails here

Ras-Sol wrote:

> > ibus __miibus_hack_dep.c
> > /usr/lib/crtbeginS.o: In function `_init':
> > /usr/lib/crtbeginS.o(.init+0x0): multiple definition of `_init'
> > /usr/lib/crti.o(.init+0x0): first defined here
> > /usr/lib/crtbeginS.o: In function `_fini':
> > /usr/lib/crtbeginS.o(.fini+0x0): multiple definition of `_fini'
> > /usr/lib/crti.o(.fini+0x0): first defined here
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules/pcn.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop in /usr/src/sys/compile/LUNAR
>
> Nice- do I remember seeing something about the 4.1.1 kernel source being
> broken out of the box?
> (I may be wrong, but I beleive my failures were in the miibus files as well)
> (Using dc NIC driver)
>
> I attempted to compile a new kernel several times last night and was seeing
> some very strange failures.
> (I'm no stranger to kernel compilation)
> Tonight I will attempt to compile GENERIC simply to maintain my sanity.

Just in case we don't have multiple failures here. You need the
"device miibus" in your kernel before you can add certain NIC drivers.
The crt... failures are most likely caused by new changes introduced
in stable to keep FreeBSD on the testing schedule for Gcc 3.0. For you
to see them in a kernel, I think you would have to cvsup and then not
follow the /usr/src/UPDATING rules for upating to 4-stable, which have
you do a buildworld > build and install kernel > installworld.

Murphy being Murphy could also have several other possibilities come
to mind :). The current 4-stable will build on my system. I finished
building the current version about an hour ago. You may need a couple
of tweaks to get there.

Have a good day,

Kent

Kent Stewart