Date:      Sat, 4 Jul 1998 00:59:04 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Ken Seggerman <suleyman@echonyc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: laptops

On Thu, Jul 02, 1998 at 04:26:04PM -0400, Ken Seggerman wrote:
> Greetings fellow newbies:
>
> I have 2.2.5 on my new Toshiba Satellite laptop.

I don't even have to know what that is to be green with envy :-)
Boy would I like to see the faces on those windoze-jabbing train
travellers leaning across "What can you do with a computer without a
mouse?!" hehehe

> The credit card modem does not work. It gets probed as zp which
> I read in Greg's book is an interface, not a device.
>
> I had hoped that reinstalling from scratch with the PAO-boot.flp
> would fix the problem. It said it was configuring the credit card modem,
> but User PPP can't find it. User ppp needs a device name, and the modem is
> plugged into an interface. I'm writing from Windows95 for the time being.
>
> This will undoubtedly require a kernel re-build. Anyway, I'm waiting for
> advise from the experts at freebsd-questions.

How's it going, any joy yet?

Laptops are strange unfamiliar things to me. Full of peculiar devices and
commands, strange keys, funny little things on the case that I can't
recognise, and mysterious sleeping habits. They cheat me out of the
precious little bit of computer knowledge that I've laboriously
collected. People who use them speak strange words as if to remind me how
little I know, and they use them to do amazing things that I can't do,
like puzzling over config files under a big shady tree instead of in a
hot room. How can something that small do what my tower case bulges and
groans about? How can a credit card do the job of this brick on my desk?
Somehow I've gotta get my own laptop one day and tear away the mystery.
It's almost like approaching unix all over again.

> I don't have room for X and emacs seems to want to use an X resourse, so I
> uninstalled it. I am getting by with pico and uemacs for the time being.

If you want to use emacs I don't think you need to install X, just the
part that emacs wants. Check the mail archives for details, it was
discussed within the last few weeks (http://www.freebsd.org/search.html)

I used pico for ages a few years ago and thought it wasn't too bad at all
for simple stuff. Now I use joe for more complex editing, which is
certainly not to everyone's taste but it offers a nice balance of light
weight, features and configurability.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-