Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 1996 10:26:12 +0100 (MET)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Chat)
Subject:   Re: Who needs Perl? (Was: cvs commit: src/share/doc/handbook ...)

Ollivier Robert writes:
> According to Greg Lehey:
>> Looks like you're solving the wrong problem here.  How about faster
>> fork and execve?  Then you don't need to learn another YACL.
>
> When the equivalent of a few lines of Perl is several sed/awk/cut in shell
> (commonplace), even with a faster fork/exec, Perl will still be faster.

Sure.  And C will be faster than perl.

> If anything, you'll fork/exec Perl faster :-)

If I start perl :-)

> For many tasks over 20 lines of shell script, Perl will be faster. There
> are some things I'd consider difficult with sh/awk/sed that are almost
> trivial with Perl. C wil be faster but unless you don't know Perl at all,
> you'll end up writing it faster in Perl...

Well, I won't say that I don't know perl at all, but I do know C, and
I think I'll do it faster in C, so I obviously don't know enough perl.

My real problem with perl is that it doesn't seem to offer enough to
get to know well.  And maybe I should choose tcl?  Or guile?  Or YACL?
What do I do when the particular operation I want to do takes too
long?  Where's the C language interface?  Where's the debugger?

> Of course Real Programmers(TM) use Fortran. :-)

Real Programmers code in hex.  Fortran programmers are wimps who don't
understand computers :-)

Greg