Date:      Thu, 02 Nov 2000 13:52:50 -0700
From:      Grayson Williams <lists@we-web.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SCSI errors

Hi,

I have a server with a sym53c875 SCSI adapter, which has nothing
connected to it except for the drives in the RAID array, and a Mylex
DAC960PTL1 PCI RAID controller, both of which are supported under
FreeBSD.. It is currently running RedHat 6.1, and I want to upgrade it
to FreeBSD 4.1.1. However, when I try to boot from the CD I get these
results after the kernel configuration:

ata1-slave: identify retries exceeded
acd0: CDROM <CREATIVECD4833E> at ata1-master using PIO4
Waiting for 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle

and then, nothing. The computer doesn't quite hang; I can set the
numlock on and off, and ctrl-alt-del works. Alt-F2 doesn't tell me
anything, and the SCSI chain is properly terminated (There's a
terminator at the end of the ribbon connected to the drives in the RAID
array, and there's nothing else connected), and Linux boots and works
perfectly. The RAID controller is properly detected. Does anyone have
any ideas?

Thanks!

Grayson