Date:      Fri, 26 Sep 2003 23:44:21 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Timothy Luoma <freebsd@tntluoma.com>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: M2 (Opera) Re: What are people using for MUA's nowadays?

At 06:18 PM 9/22/2003, Timothy Luoma wrote:

>M2 doesn't use folders. Really. Instead it uses what is essentially a database. All of your email goes into the database and is stored in there. Think of it as a circle. All of your email is inside the circle. You can enter the circle from a number of different directions.

That's correct. It's all a big database; instead of having "folders," you
have "views."

The problem is that if this big, monolithic, proprietary-format database
gets corrupted, you're hosed. You can lose everything. And because
every access is a database query, opening a "view" with a lot of messages
in it can be painfully slow. My wife subscribes to several mailing lists,
and recently upgraded from an older version of Opera to Opera 7, which
uses M2. When she opened a "view" of a mailing list with several thousand
messages, everything slowed to a crawl. Paging up or down in the list
of messages was annoyingly slow as well. She's now pushing me to find
her a better MUA.

--Brett Glass