Date:      Thu, 2 Nov 2000 15:31:31 -0600 (CST)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu>
To:        stanb@panix.com
Cc:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: in malloc(): warning: pointer to wrong page.

On Thu, 2 Nov 2000 stanb@panix.com wrote:

> 	All of a sedden I am getting _lots_ of these messages, primarily from
> 	mrtg being run from cron.
>
> 	The machnine in question is a PI with 32MB of RAM a,d 2 hard drives.
> 	Each drive has some swap space on it. I have been able to replicate
> 	this with each of the swap partitions out of service. Replacing the 32M
> 	memory temporarily with 128M eliminated the problem. At this point in
> 	time I have a replaced that with a new 32M memory segment, and the
> 	problem has re-apeared. 3.4-STABLE

cron did not deal with memory allocation failures prior to 3.5.1; after a
single memory allocation failure, it could possibly cause this message
from malloc() every time it fired off a program.

If you can't upgrade to 3.5.1 or 4.1.1, you can download the cron sources
from the source archives on ftp.freebsd.org, build, and install the
current cron, which should take care of this problem.

Hope this helps,
Guy

Guy Helmer, Ph.D. Candidate, Iowa State University Dept. of Computer Science
Research Assistant, Dept. of Computer Science   ---   ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~ghelmer