Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 1996 23:56:14 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        jim@starshine.org
Cc:        craigh@bugsoft.com, matt@bdd.net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel thinks it's on sd1, when actually sd0?

> 	So I take it that there's no way to do this with a command
> 	like Linux' 'rdev' (which patches the root device info into
> 	the kernel's binary image).  I also gather that there's there's
> 	no way to pass this information as "parameters" to the kernel in
> 	BootEasy (similar to what LILO or LOADLIN.EXE do to the Linux
> 	kernel).

Not that I know of - I don't think BootEasy was designed with FreeBSD
in mind :-(

> 	Where are the other kernel boot options documented?  I know
> 	about '(device,slice)/kernel.filename' (like Sun's) and about
> 	'-c'  but what about -C, -v, etc (I guess -s would be "single
> 	user mode").

boot(8)

[Problem snipped - I think I'll quit while I'm behind :-(]

> > IDE drives are detected before SCSI drives by the BIOS, so the
> > bootstrap code has to be on wd0.
>
> 	Technically this is only true if you configured the CMOS
> 	to expect them.  It is possible to set your CMOS to
> 	"none-installed" and then the BIOS extensions on your
> 	SCSI adapter will have a chance to boot off of one of your
> 	SCSI disks.

Yes, I was going to put something like this in and then changed my
mind.  Incidentally, if you do do this, FreeBSD will still to be able
to detect the IDE drive after it boots, even though the BIOS doesn't
know about it.

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk