Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 1996 13:33:16 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        tcg@ime.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: -questions list speed.

Gary Chrysler writes:

> Is it normal for a message to take over an hour to make it's loop.
>
> Lets say I post a message to -questions, It's over an hour before
> I get my own message back on -questions. Is this normal.

No, I'd say it's relatively fast.

> I would think it would be a couple minutes at most even though I
> am in Maine and FreeBSD.org is in Calif. (My home state)

It's not the time between California and Maine that takes up the time.
It's the number of messages that are being handled concurrently on
freefall, and the way that sendmail works: it tries each destination
sequentially, and there are bound to be some that aren't responding.
By the time sendmail gets round to you, hours could have passed.

Greg