Date:      Mon, 24 Aug 1998 14:28:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Craig Johnston <caj@lfn.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM Thinkpad 560E TFT -> $1200

On Mon, 24 Aug 1998, Brett Glass wrote:

> I understand that Xi Graphics' X server for the Cyber does a MUCH better
> job on ThinkPads than the one included with XFree86. It's said to
> be faster and work on more machines. They have a downloadable trial
> version you might want to try.
>
> --Brett

XFree86 does an o.k. job -- the secret, I found, to making 3.3.2
work is specifying 'chipset "cyber9382"' -- 3.3.1 seemed to autodetect
this.  I was told that 'Option "cyber_shadow"' may be of help as well.

My one problem with the XFree86 server is that I cannot seem to
get a screen that does not flicker -- when I move my head vertically I
can see horizontal lines scrolling vertically on the display.  At lower
refresh rates, I don't even have to move my head -- very visible lines
scroll down the display.

This concerns me because a TFT screen doesn't scan -- I ought to be able
to set a 60hz refresh rate that is rock solid.

Anyone have a clue as to what might be going on here?

I'll check out the Xi server and see if it exhibits the problem.

-Craig