Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 00:33:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      James <dominus@lies.dyn.ml.org>
To:        Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
Cc:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where to get Windows Internet stuff/ More on Windows & BSD

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Tim Gerchmez wrote:

> Well, it doesn't really matter... I divided it up OK, it's just that only
> 2% of the 80 megs in /var is in use, which is kind of a waste (I suppose I
> can start using /var for more things (caches, etc) to remedy that.  Other
> than that, it's set up RIGHT, it's just hard to find the perfect balance of
> amount of space each partition needs.  I didn't do too badly, except that I
> wish I'd given /var 40 rather than 80 megs.  I made the mistake because on
> a previous install, I got a system Email I thought was saying only 2% of
> space on /var was remaining.  Actually, it was saying 2% was *used*.  So I
> doubled the amount of space on /var on the next install, thinking it needed
> more.

I will take the chance to say there ARE reasons/var can be 80 meg or
larger.  /var/log and /var/spool.  If you will be making the machine a
mail, news or print sever /var should be large for the spool files.
Also, if you want to be 'paraniod' and log the world a large /var is
needed.

I have also used some scientific apps that make HEAVY use of /var and
/tmp.  As in hunderds of megs.  If this was the case then both you / and
/var partitions would be in trouble.  The morale, think about what you
want the machine for before writing the partition table or disk label.

Also, a bad partition table is not the end of the world.  My /usr filled
up kind of quickly and I took an old disk and moved /usr/src and
/usr/ports to it.  Add 2 lines to /etc/fstab and I was fine.

Not everyone has the luxury of another drive, so use FIPS and shave
another partition off that windows partition and use it for something.
This is all the beauty of a hierarchal filesystem.

Also, if you have a good backup you can just wipe, repartition, and reload
the backup as if nothing happened.

James