Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 2003 17:24:18 +0200 (CEST)
From:      many@unx.se
To:        "Marc Ramirez" <marc.ramirez@bluecirclesoft.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What are people using for MUA's nowadays?

Marc Ramirez wrote:
[.....]
> So, what are you young hipsters using to read main and filter spam?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marc.

Hi! Here is a short and brief description of my system.

I'm running Sendmail. Firt I use the access feature to totaly block
particular sites which are known to send only spam.
( http://www.sendmail.org/m4/anti_spam.html#access_db )

If they pass this first test they eventually get blocked by four DNSBL
checks.
( http://www.sendmail.org/m4/features.html#dnsbl )

Later they get passed to Spamassasin, which acts as a milter to Sendmail.
Spamassasin tags all potential spam (nothing is deleted).
( http://www.spamassassin.org/ )
( http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/spamass-milt )

I use procmail as my local mail delivery agent. Procmail may delete all
spamtagged mail (from Spamassasin) but I prefer to have a fast look at
each message and delete manually. Procmail also filters all mail with the
Anomy sanitizer. The sanitizer drops dangerous attachments and may run
the messages through a third party virus scanner.
( http://www.procmail.org/ )
( http://mailtools.anomy.net/ )

After that it ends up in my inbox. So whatever MUA you use is not that
important... you probably want to kill the spam before it reaches you
inbox.

These are the ports I use:

/usr/ports/mail/p5-Mail-SpamAssassin
/usr/ports/mail/spamass-milter
/usr/ports/mail/procmail
/usr/ports/lang/perl5.8 (requiered by latest Anomy)

But the answer to your question is Mutt and webmail from my work!

I hope you got some ideas!

Take care,
Mackan