Date:      Fri, 3 Nov 2000 00:25:08 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        flag <flag@libero.it>, Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ctrl key to show current system operation?

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 10:09:22PM +0000, j mckitrick wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 08:55:15PM +0100, flag wrote:
> |
> | I tried pressing Ctrl+t or Ctrl+Shift+T but nothing happens...=P
> | What's wrong?
>
> You need to do it when the terminal is busy doing something.  If you have
> the prompt, then it won't do anything.  Try ssh to a slow connection, or
> maybe some file operation that takes a long time.

The standard cat(1) will do just fine:

	% cat
	^T
	load: 1.03  cmd: cat 5660 [ttyin] 0.00u 0.00s 0% 100k

The modern shells (like GNU bash, or tcsh) will try to capture terminal keys
as they're pressed, and interpret them one by one.  GNU bash uses the readline
library, tcsh uses -- if I recall it correctly -- libtermcap, to handle
terminal keys.  When you are at the prompt, the terminal is not in it's
`normal' mode, as when it's running a cat(1) command.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >