Date:      Sun, 9 Feb 2003 21:33:48 +0100 (CET)
From:      Friedemann Becker <lucius@student.uni-tuebingen.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Okay, I think I need some serious introduction ;-) (fwd)

On Sun, 9 Feb 2003, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:

> Friedemann Becker <Friedemann.Becker@student.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:
>
> > I _really_ want to
> > help, I think of myself as a quite potentially usefull programmer, but I
> > need someones help here.
> >
> > If someone could please divert my unused engergies to the right direction :)
>
> You've not made clear what kind of help you need.  Can you not find a PR
> which you are capable of developing a fix for?  What are your
> capabilities?  What kind of work are you willing and able to do?  Are
> you willing to work on documentation in your own or other language?  Are
> you willing to do grunt work like fixing a program's "Usage:" output?
> Could you write a user-friendly "fdisk"?  Could you replace some GNU
> program with a new or updated old BSD version of the program (see
> /usr/src/gnu/usr.*/*)?  Have you checked out
> http://www.freebsd.org/projects/index.html ?  I'm sure many projects
> could use web site help.  The "libh" project is working on probably one
> of the most important improvements to FreeBSD (though I don't like their
> approach).  I've got some design ideas for what I think would be a very
> useful documentation-finding tool that you could implement on your own.
> Many programs could do better error reporting.  I've got a list of
> program problems, many of which could be fixed relatively simply.  You
> could either fix them or do research and write PRs for them.
>
> If nothing else, you could do valuable work by making a categorized and
> ordered-by-importance and/or -ease-of-doing list of PRs and tasks for
> people like you to tackle, so they needn't waste time reading about
> never-to-be-fixed problems.  (You'd first get agreement of important
> freebsd-www person to add it to www.freebsd.org, maybe after showing
> a partial draft version.)

Okay, eeerrrrmmm.... :-)

This was kind of helpful, thanks.
I already had checked the above ressources, there's not nothing I could
do, but more like too much to find the thing I'm looking for. But you
gave me some good ideas to start with.
"libh" for example indeed seems interesting to me, althoung I don't really
understand what's the point about it exactly, but this will become clearer
if I look a little bit deeper into it.

Replacing GNU tools also sounds very exciting, I think this would be the
best fit for me.

And as for gnats.... it really needs a categorization, maybee I check this
out, too, but first I'll try not to overreach myself with all this.

Thanks for the help, even if I could not describe my problem quite well,
but at least I think, I got the ideas I was looking for.

Friedemann