Date:      Fri, 4 Aug 2006 12:59:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Andrew Gould <andrewgould@yahoo.com>
To:        Xiao-Yong Jin <xj2106@columbia.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Midnight Commander in base distribution set

--- Xiao-Yong Jin <xj2106@columbia.edu> wrote:

> Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com> writes:

> anyone recommend a
> >>
> >> I would also like to hear recommendations for
> alternatives to mc that
> >> are light weight, work on the command line
> **and** are either
> >> included on the FreeBSD installation CD or would
> be appropriate
> >> additions to the installation CD.
> >
> > Actually, mc is pretty lightweight if you disable
> all the options.  Note
> > that the dependency on Perl isn't listed in
> OPTIONS, so you have to
> > disable it manually in the port Makefile by
> setting
> > WITHOUT_PERL_MODULES=yes
> >
> Anyway, for a base system, it's still a bit heavy.
> In fact, one can
> always do anything with cp/mv....  I believe the
> base system should
> only include the simplest solution, that is, the
> most fundamental
> tools one needs, and without redundancy.
>
> > --
> > 	Dan Nelson
> > 	dnelson@allantgroup.com

We're not talking about including mc (or similar
application) in the base system.  The installation
CD's already contain many binary packages from the
ports system (ie not in the base system).  The
question is whether there is an application similar to
mc already on the CD; and, if not, whether one
should/could be included.

Andrew L. Gould