Date:      Fri, 21 May 1999 08:36:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        dfr@nlsystems.com
Cc:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Panic: warning: pmap_changebit didn't.

> > Unfortunately I cannot use gdb now.
> >
> > db> gdb
> > No gdb port enabled. Set flag 0x80 on desired port
> > in your configuration file (currently sio only).
> >
> > Last time, I was able to use gdb with the flag 0x50.
> > I found the following code in /sys/isa/sio.c
>
> Currently, gdb is hardwired to sio1 on the alpha. I don't think it needs
> any other flags but 0x80 might help.

This thread has thoroughly confused me.  From reading it I gather that
all combinations of flags both work and don't work on any, all, or
none of the serial ports, and patches to the kernel both are and are
not required. :-(

Does anybody out there have a working configuration for remote gdb
plus a serial console on the alpha?  I don't care whether they're on
the same serial port or not.  Show actual lines from the config file,
please, and any necessary patches too.

And what is the point of the new flag 0x80 when the existing 0x40
flag is explicitly documented as being for remote gdb?

SIO(4):
     Meaning of flags:
           0x00001   shared IRQs
           0x00002   disable FIFO
           0x00004   no AST/4 compatible IRQ control register
           0x00008   recover sooner from lost output interrupts
           0x00010   device is potential system console
           0x00020   device is forced to become system console
           0x00040   device is reserved for low-level IO (e. g. for remote
                     kernel debugging)

Thanks,
John
  "Self-interest is the aphrodisiac of belief."           -- James V. DeLong