Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 20:28:12 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: using 1 machine (a FreeBSD one) to connect 2 pcs to the net via

The threat to mailbomb was rather tongue-in-cheek (I thought the "Sam's
spam sandwich" thing would make that fairly clear but I guess not).
However, it IRRITATES me to receive 3 to 5 Email attachments from someone I
don't know (it wasn't the message, it was the barrage of attachments).
That person could have done one of two other things:

(1) Included them as part of the main Email
(2) Asked the question first, and sent the attachments to the person who
chose to answer the question (#2 would have been the best idea, I think).

I just don't like a bunch of attachments in my \download directory without
my permission, for all sorts of reasons.  Potential trojan horses and
viruses are one (I don't audit my \download directory that regularly and
don't want a bunch of unknown junk there).  Also, consider this - if he had
chosen to include three or four 1.5 meg binary kernels instead for someone
to debug for him, would you have looked at it slightly differently?

Sorry.. irritation is irritation.  Emails don't irritate me - a bunch of
attachments from some I don't know do.  I didn't really mean it about the
mailbombing thing.

--
My web site starts at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html -
lots of goodies for everyone, have a look if you have the time.