Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 1999 18:17:10 -0500
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "Eliezer Rodriguez Gonzalez" <elie@uncle.cult.cu>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Remote system upgrade via NFS problems.

From: Eliezer Rodriguez Gonzalez <elie@uncle.cult.cu>
> Some time ago I upgrade my 2.2.6 system to 3.2-STABLE, but I still have
> all the build in /usr/obj. Now I want to mount this box /usr/src and
> /usr/obj onto another box I also want to upgrade. The mounting works fine,
> I mounted them on the remote machine also in /usr/src and /usr/obj, but
> when I fired make aout-to-elf-install the script works just displaying
> that the system has been finally upgraded and suggest to reboot the
> system.
> I guess this behaviour is normal, I just need to know how to avoid it and
> perform the upgrade on the remote machine taking advantage of the previous
> build process.

Removing the following files from your /usr/obj directory will allow you to
install your current build on another system.

:From /usr/src/Makefile.upgrade
:
:                ${MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX}/do_move_aout_libs           \
:                ${MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX}/do_aout_installworld        \
:                ${MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX}/do_elf_installworld         \
:                ${MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX}/do_elf_kernel               \
:                ${MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX}/do_set_objformat            \
:                ${MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX}/do_reboot

Scot