Date:      Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:25:27 -0500
From:      Gerry Freymann <lists@interpool.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ports and Packages: Updating problems

I just upgraded from FreeBSD 4.9R to 4.11R (cvsup'd sources and ports,
buildworld, buildkernel, etc).

Then I went to work on upgrading my ports. Portupgrade and some manual
intervention did a fairly decent job.

I used the "ports" which compiled mostly everything (Xfree-4 went fine
too) but it never compiles KDE so I fall-back to using "packages" for
those.

But I'm confused as to why the packages seem to be older versions than
what's in the ports? A fair bit of the packages required for KDE spit out
notices they were expecting version B of a dependency but I have version A
(the latest)

I can't update via ports:

arts-1.3.2,1
gdk-pixbuf-0.22.0
kdemultimedia-mpeglib_artsplug-3.3.2
koffice-1.3.5_1,1

and if I try to install via package, I get the versions above, which are
now considered "old" and I'm being told they need to be updated when I run
pkg_version

I get varying errors when trying to compile via ports, of which something
about libjpeg seems to be common.

Do I need to cvsup again and try the above 4 programs again? or do I need
to capture the text where they bomb and submit to the ports' responsible
person?

Thanks...
-gerry