Date:      Mon, 6 Dec 2004 12:36:18 -0500
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@dclg.ca>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Suspend-to-disk

I also left room for a suspend to disk partition on my D-800
... although I've never seen it work in past attempts.

It seems to me that an equally acceptable (and possibly better)
strategy for FreeBSD would be a soft suspend to disk that is hardware
agnostic.  Linux seems to have done this.

One way to implement this that has been discussed is to dump
application memory to disk (possibly on the swap partition) ... some
form of forced swapout (the opposite of the unswap).  Then comes
saving the kernel state.  This is the somewhat more problematic thing
... since the running kernel has trouble saving itself.

But we already have the "dump" process.  Can the loader pick up on
something that tells it to load the dump rather than the kernel?

This may mean having an overly large swap partition, but this setup
would preserve your environment across reboots ... and presumably make
reboots quite quick.

Dave.

|David Gilbert, Independent Contractor.       | Two things can only be     |
|Mail:       dave@daveg.ca                    |  equal if and only if they |
|http://daveg.ca                              |   are precisely opposite.  |