Date:      Wed, 16 Mar 2005 19:29:43 -0800
From:      Jean Lagarde <jlagarde@bigfoot.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.3-release fine with 512MB RAM, reboots at times with 1.5GB (but no panic)

Thanks to all who replied. So it seems the consensus is a likely
hardware issue, and I am leaning that way as well now. I will try the
suggestion about disabling ACPI however.

To address some of the other comments, that exact CPU-mobo-memory
configuration worked fine running Win2000 for many years, so I doubt it
is the problem per se. Also, I did try the 1GB stick alone yesterday and
it had similar symptoms as for 1.5 GB.

I do know where to look for a panic message and there is none.

About my running Win2000 on this hardware before, I would initially have
thought that this made a hardware problem improbable, but I used to run
the computer continually and I guess it's not impossible that there was
a hardware degradation that was mitigated by the system staying warm all
the time. The system was mothballed for a few months before my FreeBSD
install, so the prolonged period at room temperature may have allowed
some motherboard degradation to get worse. I was led to form that
hypothesis because I noticed yesterday that there seems to be a relation
with temperature: I ran burnP6 and crashme concurrently (both ran
without problem with any memory configuration but I realize that neither
of these two utilities necessarily stress the system in the way I need)
and since they ran fine with the 1.5 GB in I tried to start KDE again
(leaving the stress applications running) and it did bring everything up
without rebooting. I stopped the system and let it cool down and KDE
made the system reboot as before after a restart. I guess my next step
will be to install chm or something like that to monitor the
temperatures as the system runs, but anyway, it seems this is likely not
a FreeBSD problem anymore, so I thank you all again for the suggestions
and will continue troubleshooting the hardware. My immediate guess is
either the CPU or motherboard.

Oh yeah, I still wonder thought why "memtest all" only seemed to "find"
512MB of RAM, but I think it is a side issue at this time.

Cheers,

Jean