Date:      Fri, 4 Aug 2006 18:28:49 -0400
From:      Gerard Seibert <gerard@seibercom.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Ron Clark <rsclark@kingwoodcable.net>
Subject:   Re: (no subject)

--nextPart3474190.jxaLzQqWVE

On Friday 04 August 2006 17:27, Ron Clark wrote:
> OK, I have rebuilt the box again and this time installed Mysql Server
> 4.1 from the packages. No errors during the install.
>
> When I try and start mysql, I get the following error:
> test2# /usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe &
> [1] 781
> test2# Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/db/mysql
> STOPPING server from pid file /var/db/mysql/test2.pid
> 060804 09:48:33  mysqld ended
>

> [1]    Done                          /usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe
>

> If I cat the .err file it writes, this is what it says:
>
> 060804 09:48:33  mysqld started
> 060804  9:48:33  InnoDB: Operating system error number 13 in a file
> operation.
> InnoDB: The error means mysqld does not have the access rights to
> InnoDB: the directory.
> InnoDB: File name ./ibdata1
> InnoDB: File operation call: 'create'.
> InnoDB: Cannot continue operation.
> 060804 09:48:33  mysqld ended
>
> How do I fix this and get Mysql Server to start?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ron

OK, I once had the same problem. I am assuming that you attempted to start =
and=20
configure MySQL manually after installing it. First of all, make sure you=20
have :

mysql_enable=3D"YES" in your /etc/rc.conf file.

Now navigate to the /var/db directory. Either rename or delete the mysql=20
directory. You have nothing in it since you did not get MySQL running. Now=
=20
either reboot or navigate to /usr/local/etc/rc.d and as root type:

	./mysql-server start

It is possible yours is named different, so substiture the correct file nam=
e.=20
That should create the directory with the proper permissions, etc. Now you=
=20
can procede to configure MySQL for your users, etc.

=2D-=20
Gerard Seibert
gerard@seibercom.net

A person forgives only when they are in the wrong.