Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2014 11:34:36 +0100
From:      Martin Braun <yellowgoldmine@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD is really great.. BUT..

FreeBSD is really great.. BUT..

I stopped using FreeBSD when it was about 5.x or something because I found
I spend more time compiling than I did managing our server room. I went
with Debian (and the beloved apt-get tool) and I never looked back.

Then I needed to test different containers out so I tested Linux-VServer,
Xen, UML, and other stuff, and naturally I had to test FreeBSD Jails. I
decided to use ezjail and I noticed that FreeBSD has gotten some new really
cool tools and jails combined with ZFS are incredible.

So pkg_add is gone and now there is the new and improved pkg and together
with "freebsd-update" it is possible to keep a system upgraded at all times
using ONLY binary packages, which are great!

The whole point of the ports system is as stated on the OpenBSD FAQ:

    "The end result of the porting effort are ready-to-install binary
packages."

So great.. yes?

NO!

Why not?

Because still the FreeBSD ports team doesn't agree with that notion from
the OpenBSD FAQ about packages.

The binary packages on FreeBSD are compiled with so few options available
that you end up compiling the whole bunch from source anyway!

A simple setup on a mailserver with Postfix, Dovecot, MySQL, and a couple
of other packages doesn't work using the binary packages because they are
NOT compiled to fit together!

Now.. what the "=C2=A4"%"#!"!=C2=A4 is the point then!? Why don't we just f=
orget
about binary packages in FreeBSD and make everyone compile?

There's no point in making those pre-made binary packages ready for usage
when they are only freaking compiled to run alone without any kind of usage
what so ever!

Now.. was this post an "acid reflux"? Ooh.. yeah!

Sorry, but I really think it's a shame.

Some don't trust binary packages from FreeBSD and some just like to tweak -
GREAT!

But others just like to get some work done.. rather than compiling..
compiling.. compiling..!